Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake or Strawberries and Cream Cake?





This cake instantly became my favorite just a couple of days ago, when I decided to make a surprise birthday cake for my daughter's tutor, Teacher Cristine. Just a simple Butter Cake with whipped cream and strawberries. It was unfortunate that there are no available fresh strawberries in the supermarket near me that time, that I had to use pie filling instead. But it surprised me, that it still turned out to be the kind of cake I would buy from famous bakeshops here in the Philippines, and better. 

The name Strawberry Shortcake doesn't really define this type of cake. Because originally, as how Baking Bites described it, Strawberry Shortcake is typically made with a biscuit-like cake or scone that is split and filled with strawberries and sweetened whipped cream. But for me, however you want to make it, I'm pretty sure it will taste just as amazing.

I love how the cream complements the moist and light sweetness of the butter cake, as well as the strawberries that bursts in your mouth at first bite. This cake is oh so good, that I couldn't help myself and made another one the next day. 


The birthday girl, slicing her cake. 



Here's a great recipe that you can try. :)
Happy Baking!

Yellow Butter Cake Recipe


Sweetened Whipped Cream Recipe
Ingredients:

1 c. whipping cream
1/3 c. powdered sugar

Combine whipping cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl. With an electric hand mixer, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.


Strawberry Topping
Ingredients:
3 cups fresh strawberries
1/3 cup sugar

Slice the berries and toss them in the sugar. 
Use pie filling if there are no strawberries available. I used Comstock. :)

2 comments:

The Pickiest Eater said...

This looks Amazing KC!!!

KC Monteras said...

Thank you Rich! It tastes amazing. :)

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs